[pct-l] The Impact of the Trail

Michael Slusser michael.slusser at gmail.com
Sun Oct 6 11:25:24 CDT 2013

I've been tremendously impressed by the thought and insight I've seen in
the messages here, and I'd like to pick your brains for my own edification
and that of others.

As part of my efforts to hike the hike next year, I will be applying for a
sabbatical from my college. My hope is that the experience will help me
craft a text for students on observational writing with a focus on
wilderness and our connection with nature. To convince my superiors that
this is a worthwhile effort, I'm combing through sources about the impact
of wilderness experience on our sense of self and our perspectives.

To that end, I'm looking for anyone willing to weigh in here, since so many
of you have succeeded in the journey I am hoping to take: how has the trail
experience--specifically on the PCT (or other long trail)--affected you?
How has your perspective on life and culture, and your connection with the
natural world, been shaped by the long trek?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated, and I'll be certain to give credit
for any comments used in the proposal.

You folks are awesome.

Michael

--
*Quid sum? Nil. Quis sum? Nullus. Sed gratia Christi, quod sum, quod vivo,
quodque laboro, facit.*