[pct-l] Resupply Strategies

Jim Marco jdm27 at cornell.edu
Tue Nov 26 04:01:49 CST 2013

Perigee,
	As a strategy, There are two basic methods.
	The first is hiking from resupply to resupply, carrying only enough food/fuel for each leg. This has the upside of carrying minimum weights. It has the downside of making you stop at each resupply station, meaning, extra miles hiked.
	The second is to carry a full pack, usually an extra 20-30 pounds right after a resupply, for as long as it will take you (usually about two weeks.) Traveling as far as you can on what you have before figuring out which resupply you need to stop at, again (at 20mi/day between 100-180 miles.) The upside is minimizing resupply stops to save miles on the trail. The downside is not having an exact plan of where and when you will stop for supplies ahead of time.
	On any longer trail, you need to resupply, somewhere. This is usually dictated by where the stops are. So it should be possible to hit every third one at around 5 days between, or every second one at around 9 days between.
	Most thru hikers do a combination of both methods. Skipping a long resupply, going for a short one may mean an extra 3-4 days of food, or cutting it short at 10 days out. Resupplying 5 days before a 9 day stretch would not be my choice. I would resupply just before heading into the woods for 9 days, topping off my food and fuel, just in case. It can be difficult sending your bounce box ahead. Since, you really don't know where you will resupply using the second method. And, 2-3 days may not be enough time for it to be processed through the mails using the first. Don't plan on a bounce box much before 5 days, though they will usually take less. Avoid Sunday pick-ups in your schedule, as well as holidays. I try to plan a zero in or near the resupply stop to do other things: repairs, replacements, and laundry. It takes a while looking for new shoes, sometimes.
	Generally, I don't plan them out, other than the first couple weeks. It is a waste of time. I plan them as I get info from other hikers, the maps, the rangers, and as needed on the trail. Works for me...
	My thoughts only . . .
		jdm