[pct-l] Break Strategies now sleeping bags

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Sun Nov 24 11:07:06 CST 2013

Hey Marcia,

You're right about cleanliness, but for what it's worth, I always sleep in
the clothes I hike in and that was the same on the PCT and CDT, so why the
down hasn't held up, I'm not sure.  Maybe I was just a way dirtier dude on
the PCT.  Both are packed tight in a Sea to Summit bag when in the pack and
that really takes it out of down, but the Zpacks has more miles on it and
people still ask me if I just got a new bag because it fluffs up so well.

The lack of a hood is no problem, actually I like it better.  I bought a
Zpacks bag that was 3 inches longer than I technically needed.  I'm 5' 9''
and I got a 6' bag.  There is a draw string at the top to snug it all up,
but whereas with a hood, when I turn in my bag, I often end up breathing
right into the bag, as I end up facing a wall of down, or twisting the
whole thing in some uncomfortable way, with the Zpacks, it is just a
snuggly hole that sort of reconfigures as I turn.  I pull it right over my
head like a hood, but that hood can be formed in any direction.  I just
find it much more comfortable, and don't miss the hood in the least as the
bag still forms a hood when I want one.

Shroomer