[pct-l] Hiker Trash Lifestyle VS Job Security

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Sat Nov 23 11:23:43 CST 2013

...and so many bright, shinny faces, each year's hoard of aspiring thru
hikers, still have no idea how much the long trail will dramatically change
the way they see life and themselves, for the better!

But you have to be able, talented, experienced, or skilled enough to stay
out a sufficient length of time to let the wilderness open up your hearing
so you can understand what it speaks to you, ministering to your heart and
spirit while strengthening your body by walking day in and day out, sun up
to sun down, absorbing the simple, daily rhythm that becomes the thru
hiker's lifestyle.

The dramatic confrontation every thru feels when re-entering civilization,
whether for a short period in a trail town or for a long period at the end
of their multi-month hike, is a testimony to the depth of this inner change
and something that has to be dealt with if he or she still wants to "fit in"
to the modern-society life they once had pre-thru hike.

Indeed, more happens inside the man or woman during the course of a thru
hike than most will talk about while on the hike, yet must after it!

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
www.mountaineducation.org