[pct-l] Break Strategies

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.org
Thu Nov 21 20:29:17 CST 2013

Wow! Excellent advice, Diane!

For both my PCT and CDT hikes, I planned low-mileage days so that I could do
other things during the day like fishing, exploring, tree-climbing,
photographic wanderings, mid-day naps, and so forth, but like Diane said,
once the body was tuned up, strong, and running well, you just keep going.
Swinging the feet is simple, rhythmical, and healing. Bugs and cold keep you
going, too.

I, also, structured in a zero per week, just in case I needed to catch up or
got caught in a storm and had to stay in the tent all day. In 1974 I didn't
see another hiker on the trail, so the social detours into towns so common
today didn't tempt me to add breaks to where I might have fallen behind
schedule.

If Mountain Education, these days, is running a real mellow trip like 8 or
10 miles per day on and off snow, we'll have many stops for food and play
(no bugs, bears, or dirt to worry about) because that's why we're out there,
to take it all in!

Your "strategy" regarding if and when to take breaks during your daily or
weekly thru hike should be based, I would think, on what you want to
accomplish while you're out there. Only you can know that one!

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
www.mountaineducation.org