[pct-l] Break Strategies

Charles Williams charlesnolie at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 21 09:50:07 CST 2013

For myself,  I would take numerous breaks in the mornings and afternoons in the beginning.  As I gained conditioning, and after I got through the Sierra, I took fewer breaks and a quicker lunch.  By the time I got deep into Nor Cal and Oregon I really took very few breaks and would rather just keep hiking.  I still took a lunch but it got shorter and later and later every day.  This was to fuel me in the afternoon and through the night as I quit eating dinners eventually.

I had numerous friends and family from back home that would hike with me for a week or more and they didn't have the stamina to skip breaks, so I took breaks on their schedule (what ever they felt comfortable with)

My concern in recommending a (break-free) style of hiking for you as a section hiker is whether or not you'll ever spend enough time on the trail at once to "ascend" to a break-free "hike style".   I knew other thru-hikers on the trail that summer and when I'd hike amongst them for a day or two I found that that they took breaks often.

Just some thoughts...

QuincyRider
Mex-Can in '93