[pct-l] Base weight criteria, AND..

Diane Soini dianesoini at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 12:42:08 CST 2013

I started with a bunch of gear that I already had, except for a brand
new tent I bought from Gossamer Gear. I figured the weight of my old
gear isn't that bad. Yadda yadda.

Soon enough I started to realize that the pack fit poorly and the
weight carried painfully. The sleeping bag took up too much space and
I ended up tying things to the outside and walking down the trail
with stuff bumping and swinging uncomfortably. I arrived at every
water source with more than 2L still in my pack. My zip stove was not
safe in the wind, not pleasant to use in the heat and messy. Goretex
shoes are the worst invention ever conceived. Basically, my gear was
not making my trip enjoyable.

By Warner Springs I started to send home unused items and continued
to do so at nearly every town stop. By Idyllwild I started either
requesting things from home be sent to me or going shopping from the
Internet or in brick-and-mortar stores for new gear. By the end of my
first half of hiking the PCT the only items I started out with that I
still carried were some of my clothes and my Gossamer Gear tent.

Before my 2nd trip the following year, I spent the entire winter
thinking of ways I could reduce my pack weight even further. I spent
a lot of time on Backpacking Light's forum. I managed to cut another
9lbs off my pack weight, equally with new gear purchases (but cheap
ones) and with replacing stuff with up-cycled homemade gear.

My advice to you is bring a list of post office addresses and a
credit card and make use of Internet shopping along the way. Use the
first few hundred miles as a gear-testing adventure. At one point I
was sending myself a new stove to try out, if I liked it, I sent the
other one home. If I didn't, I tried another stove for a section. I
did that with shoes and with other small items.

When I set off for the PCT I expected a total solitary wilderness
experience. I expected it to be like going to the moon. What you have
is what you have and you better be prepared for anything and
everything. Well, it wasn't like that at all! You need not make final
decisions now as new decisions can be made along the way. As silly as
it sounds, you can shop your way out of a lot of gear failures on the
PCT.