[pct-l] Mendo Rider and bear charms

Nick Thelen nthelen03 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 6 13:31:08 CST 2013

Susan Wrote:
"Although in the high country Mendorider did use bear canisters elsewhere he consistently used what he called bear charms
which were mothballs in a bag or used individually placed around the items he wanted to protect.  Since I considered Ed Anderson
to be THE authority on riding the PCT I followed his advice on my journey and placed exactly 10 mothballs around my tent,
covered tack and food (horse & human) and the only time I had any problem was when I failed to include a small carrying bag which
 had snacks in it earlier in the day. The chipmunks nibbled at the corners I guess smelling the crumbs.  As far as bears,
we camped in a few areas where known bears habituated but never had any problems. Have you ever smelled mothballs...
my guess is the bears and other animals just don't perceive the smell as related to something edible.

Susan"

Just wanted to add a quick counterpoint.

Bears (and other animals) are intrigued by unique/new smells and will come to investigate.

This is not based on my personal experience, but my family homesteaded in Alaska
before I was born - the 'mothball/ammonia/bleach' idea has been around for some time
and from my family's perspective is absolutely not a deterrent but more of an attractant
for bears....and moose for that matter.

To add mothballs are poisonous....unique smell, bear eats mothballs...bear gets sick - not cool.

Best to get the food canistered, away, up in a tree, etc...because I believe no one would
appreciate a middle of the night bear snuggle :^O

just my .02
- Nick