[pct-l] Rain pants, rain kilt, wind pants, or nothing for the Sierra?

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Wed May 29 21:29:06 CDT 2013

This is a good point at which to interject the central importance of
thinking of your gear as a system.  For example, in 2005 I started in
Canada on June 10, and spent the next seven days - from Manning to
Stehekin - in the clouds, sleet, and snow.  I wasn't carrying any pants
at all. If it rained, it was spitting, but mostly it sleeted and
snowed.  I was totally comfortable in shorts.  I wore a medium weight
polypro top, my hiking shirt, a primaloft vest, and a frogg toggs
raincoat. And I found that I was far more comfortable in shorts when it
snowed than when it rained. For me, and this is IMHO, pants of any sort
are unnecessary unless you're concerned with mosquitos or sun.
Otherwise, they just wear off leg hair.

I've learned I would preferto be in the rain and snow in shorts and a
poncho than wear any kind of long pants.  What I did learn is that the
Frogg Toggs top was too short.  When I went up the knife edge and across
the Packwood Glacier and then down and down towards Sheep Lake in the
Goat Rocks, it rained hard.  The frogg toggs jacket was too short and
water leeched up to my polypro underwear and hiking shirt and my core
got cold.  Mybody was wet from the crotch to just under my pecs, and at
2PM, I went to bed.

Since then I've used a silnylon poncho and I'm protected from rain from
midthigh up.  And because I sweat profusely, the poncho lets air
circulate and my clothes get rid of the water vapor.

I'm an advocate of Ray Jardine's way of thinking, if not all his gear
choices.  Hiking for more than a couple weeks has us evolve a comfort
level with being in the wilderness that translates to a gear system.
First comes comfort level/experience.  Then comes gear choices to
support that comfort level. And it's a system.

For the last 10 years I've used one of those full-length blue foam pads
to sleep on.  In 2003 I got a Nunatak arc alpinist quilt.  I didn't want
the variability of having to make sure my lower legs and feetwere on
clothes or my pack for warmth.  Hence the full length pad.  I started
with a Golite Gust - basically a big 21 oz. sack - put the blue pad in
it, and then everything else inside that.  I didn't need a suspension
system. Everything was so tightly packed no stays were necessary. Mypack
weight rested totally on my waist - not my hips - my waist. (Read
Jardine about that).

I just purchased one of those 12 oz full length, 2.5 inch thick
thermarest neolite pads - to the tune of $127!!! That's a lot more than
the $11 I pay for the blue foam pad.  I'm using a Golite Pinnacle now -
the Gust didn't have external pockets for water bottles, but that's the
only advantage for me.  I'm going to be really curious how not having
the blue foam pad to make everything rigid is going to work.  The new
pad is 10 inches long and 4 inchs in diameter. It's half the size of
myTarptent Contrail. I won't get a smaller pack because I've never stuff
the quilt, and never will. It gets its own black plastic garbage bag,
and fills out the pack, regardless of the amount of food in it.

The bottom line is that my base weight for pack, quilt, pad and tent is
84 oz. I think that's 5 pounds.  My brother, who just disrobed and left
a Buddhist Abbey after 21 years of cloistered existence, has an old
Kelty.  His pack weighs as much as my basic kit. I'm giving him one of
my old Gusts and blue foam pads and Sierra Designs lightyear tent.

When you begin your hiking life, you think about gear and which item
among an array of items to buy.  As you hike more and more weeks -
especially more than three or four weeks in one hike, the focus for gear
becomes your system - how does it support your comfort levelwith being
in the wilderness. It's SO much easier to hike with a light pack than a
heavy one.

However, the best, and most interesting "gear" decision is in finding a
mate - you want one that likes to hike.  When I was in my 20s, my
initial criteria for considering a woman as a mate was did she enjoy a
week hiking 50 miles in a loop in the high Sierra? (Women can do the
same thing of course).

One of the interesting findings emerging from research on relationships
is it's not "love" that matters in a couple staying together,it's common
interests. When a guy chooses a woman because she's beautiful or cute or
social, or a woman chooses a man because he's handsome or promises to be
materially successful, the choice will likely lead to divorce and many
wasted years of floundering.

If you love to hike, find someone who loves to hike.  This is the most
important part of your backpacking system.  Nuff said...

Jeffrey Olson
Rapid City SD, heading out for a short, week long loop out of Pine Creek
to explore the Bear Lakes area...