[pct-l] An Overnighter

gary_schenk at verizon.net gary_schenk at verizon.net
Tue May 28 14:16:25 CDT 2013

We did a mini-trip from Chimney Creek to Kennedy Meadows over the weekend. The weather was mild. The trail is in good shape, a few small blowdowns from the Manter Fire. Water was no problem. Fox Mill Spring had a good flow and that first unnamed creek (at least on the Rockhouse Basin topo) that you come to after crossing the ridge from Chimney Creek, had a good, but small flow.

It is amazingly dry out there (although a condescending thru-hiker told us otherwise). The Great Western Divide is almost devoid of snow, the South Fork Kern looked like August conditions, not May melt conditions.

We broke up a few illegal fire rings and carried out a bit of trash. How people can think of building a fire after hiking through all that devastation in mind boggling.

A few thrus are already headed north from Kennedy Meadows. Good luck to them!

Gary