[pct-l] Going Stoveless

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Mon May 27 01:26:39 CDT 2013

I started out last year using the Ziploc, screw top containers and like
them, but had several of them get broken during the rigors of being packed
in my backpack during the first few weeks of the hike.  They can actually
crack if squashed or banged.  Then I shifted to just using the heavy duty
Ziploc bags I had packed the meals in.  I double bagged them each time, and
never had a mishap with them.  They are not as easy to eat out of as a
nice, stiff, lidded bowl, but they worked fine for 4 1/2 months.  Others
I've hiked with love plastic peanut butter containers for rehydrating as
well.

One trick if you are using instant mashed potatoes is to soak everything
else for several hours before adding the potato flakes at the last minute.
 The potatoes rehydrate almost instantly even with cold water so you can
add them just before eating your meal.  If you start with the potatoes and
everything else all mixed together, the potatoes tend to soak up just about
any amount of water you add and the rest of the stuff doesn't get enough
moisture to get soft.  With instant brown rice, you can rehydrate it along
with whatever meat and veggie you have.  They all rehydrate at
approximately the same rate.

 As for ideas for stoveless foods, you need more than just potatoes and
Tapatio sauce or you will get really tired of it all pretty quick.  You
need to add dried veggies, precooked dried beans and TVP as well as meat or
cheese and then choose from a long list of dried sauce mixes in any grocery
store.  They will change the same ingredients into a number of great meals.
  I got a lot of dried veggies and fish at my local Korean and Chinese
markets.  Wakame seaweed rehydrates really well and doesn't taste weird at
all.  Use dried cheeses from a number of sources on line, Berry Farms being
one, and get creative.

Dried starch, veggie, protein, beans, nuts, dried fruit to add sweetness
and a sauce mix heavy on the salt.  That's the basics for an unlimited
number of meals.

Shroomer