[pct-l] Camping on Mount Whitney

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Sun May 26 15:09:31 CDT 2013

If you're leaving in 16 days, that's still early season for the High
Sierra, which is why most thru hikers have the JMT all to themselves for
most of the distance.  It's totally doable, especially in this low snow
year, and you'd be getting to Whitney toward the end of the month.  If you
choose to camp on top, I'd want more than a 30 degree bag personally, as it
is still potentially really cold up there, still dipping into the teens and
20s at night at times.  It's much warmer just a bit lower if you pick a
protected spot as Mark mentioned, or even lower than that.  Most
importantly, however, be really cognizant of the weather.  Thunderstorms
usually build up during the afternoons and clear at night in summer, but
not always.   I've been thundered and snowed on in the Sierra, spring,
summer and fall, day and night.  The Sierra are known for having the "most
benign summer weather" of any major mountain range in the world, but that
doesn't mean you still don't get some doozies any time of year and being on
top is not where you want to be in a thunder storm.

Sounds like a good plan all around.

Shroomer