[pct-l] Desolation Wilderness July 4th

Timothy Nye timpnye at gmail.com
Sat May 25 16:58:49 CDT 2013

Alan,

The sad truth is that this section of the trail is the most populated of any on the PCT. Add to this that the Fourth of July weekend will stand an excellent chance of being the most popular to enter this already overcrowded "wilderness" and I'm afraid that this unrepresentative segment may have the opposite of the intended effect causing you questioning your goal rather than whetting your hiker appetite. There's not much to be seen hiking in a day and a half from Echo and the turning around.

On the other hand, if you have little experience this could be a bridge experience for you. But I would urge you to expand the scope beyond 3 days and head South either from Echo or Carson. There are a few highway trail heads South that make it practical. I don't know what mileage you're thinking about, but it's 15 miles from Echo to Carson Pass, but a bit of a climb out of Echo. From Carson to Ebbets is a nice hike.

If you intend to go through Desolation There is a Forest Service office on Hwy 50 past Placerville for permits, however, I wouldn't wait until the last minute for fear they may be at capacity. A permit isn't required heading South.

Gourmet

Sent from my iPad