[pct-l] Cannister stove for thru-hike

Timothy Nye timpnye at gmail.com
Sat May 25 16:39:30 CDT 2013

I question the supposition that canister stoves have a weight premium over alcohol stoves. While alcohol may have less energy per liquid ounce over canisters, the number of days between resupply points are not sufficient to make this a legitimate concern. Additionally, of course, there is that pesky four ounces the canister itself weighs.

I've known a few that actually cook, as opposed to rehydrate, on the trail. They are few and far between. Frankly, I gave up that approach since walking all day left little time or energy for what became the inconvenience of having to cook during the time that was otherwise available to relax.

For the record, I personally prefer Esbit tablets with a half ounce titanium Esbit stove. Here, however, I am one of the few. Each tablet is half an ounce and I'll rarely use a maximum of two a day, but usually less. Basically, the weight of an empty canister per section. I realize that many hikers have a negative perception of these; they smell, they dirty the bottom of the pot, are the two principle ones, but they work for me and have the positive of being safer than alcohol.

Sent from my iPad