[pct-l] Cannister stove for thru-hike

Simon Deleersnyder simon.deleersnyder at gmail.com
Sat May 25 09:24:33 CDT 2013

Hi,

I know that a lot of thru-hikers carry an alcohol stove. I read that these
are mainly used for bringing dehydrated mails to a boil and are not ideal
for meals that need simmering. Since I want to have the possibility of
cooking rice, and potatoes I want to take a cannister stove. When hiking
for multiple days without resupplies this would also be lighter than the
alcohol stove.

The main problem is however that I don't know whether gas cannisters are
available in most towns along the PCT. I know that HEET is widely available
but not sure about the gas cannisters. In that case I would have to add
them in my resupply boxes, but this would mean that I would have to send a
box every week or so, and I don't really like that. Anyone that has
experience with gas cannisters, and their availability in towns along the
trail?

I am also not sure whether you can send gas cannisters in mail parcels from
Europe to the USA. Is this legal?

thanks in advance!
Simon