[pct-l] MTBer response to my recent admin note

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Fri May 17 20:42:40 CDT 2013

Gary wrote:

But they say they are all about trail maintenance. So, what happened, if you can tell.
Reply:

Left a vaguely threatening note where the organizers would find it - another crew leader and I did.  I expected them to try something, the only question was what.  It's in their character to be obnoxious and it'll eventually be their down fall, especially since we KNOW that's how they operate.

Bob:
Well, we'll have shovels, axes and pulaskis and the like - but we use them strictly on the trail. The most important tool if those loser MTBers harass us on trail the USFS radios we carry.  It takes about 2 seconds to get a repeater to kick in to connect with USFS dispatch and a Law Enforcement Ranger.  Add to that, a lot of the non-Wilderness sections where we work have cell coverage.

Dan:  its more a heads up to the losers out there that their games are blatantly illegal and getting far more serious and they will be called to account should they pursue the line of active harassment they started going down.   The law is clear, I intend to use it.

Peter:  IMO, sadly such discussion is necessary to preserve and protect the trail from this threat posed by the MTBers.  Quite frankly I'd rather put the attention I have on the MTBer subject toward other stewardship topics - like how to better maintain the trail.  But alas, there is this external threat to the very heart and soul of the trail and until its driven off, it demands attention.  We hikers and equestrians didn't start this argument - the MTBers did.  Surrender to them means destruction of the PCT and all it stands for.  I'm in this to allow my family members to follow in my footsteps 10, 20, 50 years down the road, to let them experience as close to the same trail that I hiked (which is also why I speak out on the fires and other stewardship issues as well).  We don't have the luxury to be silent.