[pct-l] How to Mojave

Anthony Biegen ajbiegen at gmail.com
Thu May 16 22:53:03 CDT 2013

BJ Wrote:

>What strategies do you use to manage the effects of heat?? Hydration tips?
Cooling tips?? Umbrellas - love or hate?? Hiking >schedule tips??
Particular places to hide in that section in the scorch of the midday sun??
Thank you all in advance for sharing your >experiences - I may take a while
to respond as I'm not always wired up on the trail.

Here are a few of the things that I did that helped:

1. Wet your clothes down at every opportunity. It may only last an hour or
two but that is at least a short period where the evaporative effects will
help with the heat.
2. Carry some extra water just to occasionally pour over your head. I lead
Sierra Club hikes and you wouldn't believe the number of people that I have
saved just by pouring water over their heads in hot conditions. It does
wonders to cool you down and especially the organ that you need most in hot
situations - your brain.
3. Umbrella. Love/hate relationship with my umbrella. I find myself
constantly fighting with the damn thing to get it in the right spot and
make it stay there. However, it does really cool you down. Last year almost
everyone had one in Southern California. The couple of people who said that
it didn't really help them missed the main purpose - you can take your hat
off. If you use an umbrella and keep your hat on you are loosing most of
the cooling benefits.
4. Get that early morning cool air. Early morning is the coolest part of
the day. You can see well enough to be on he trail at 5:00am so don't miss
out on that pleasant experience. Some people hike at night but often the
heat of the day lingers far into the night. When I hiked out of Cabazon two
years ago it was still over 100 at 8PM but it was around 70 at 4AM.
5. Despite what everyone is telling you, don't drink too much. It is
possible to drink more fluids than your body can get rid of. The book
"Waterlogged" talks about this at length. Don't confuse dehydration with
hyperthermia. Sometimes you need to cool your body down not fill it with
more water - see point number 2.
6. No matter how hot you feel never just stop and rest in the sun. Always
seek out shade to rest. In fact when you are walking try to get as much
shade as possible, even if it is sporadic or only covers your legs. I have
seen people on our Sierra Club hikes that just sit down in the sun because
they are too hot and then they get hotter. Always go a little bit further
to get even a little bit of shade.
7. Use a buff and wet it down like you do your clothes - every opportunity.
If the air is really dry, breath through your wet buff. It really will help.
8. Keep moving. If you are hiking at 3 mph, that is the same as having a 3
mph breeze blowing past you.  Not much but I do notice the difference when
I stop and the heat catches up with me.
9. Know where the water is. This is really important. I know that a few
people on the list insist that all you need is a map and a compass but in
So Cal, a GPS with Halfmile's waypoints for where the water is can save
your life.
10 Know the warning signs of overheating. If you are having trouble making
decisions or feel somewhat confused, recognize what it is, please take it
seriously and get yourself to the nearest water even if it means going
back. Get in the shade, ask for help and save your life.

TrailHacker

"I can't think straight when I am overheated."