[pct-l] How to Mojave

Jennifer Zimmerman jenniferlzim at gmail.com
Wed May 15 17:56:19 CDT 2013

Assuming you're at an abundant source and will not be depriving others of
much-needed water, wet yourself down - your head, hat, shirt, sleeves,
bandannas (worn around your neck or like a drape off your hat). The dry
heat will provide great evaporative cooling for a little while at least.

This seems to be a pretty individualized thing, but we love our sun
umbrellas and think they're well worth the extra 8 oz.  We can attach them
to our packs so we still have our hands free for poles.  Seriously, we
should get sponsorship from Golite because I think we've sold 4-5 to hikers
along the way.  It's about 20 degrees cooler under them than in the sun. We
also love our fingerless, open-palmed sun gloves.  In addition to keeping
our hands/wrists from getting fried, we can soak them and they cool the
pulse points over our wrists.

Try to hike off-hours.  Get up before sunrise, hike until 12 or until it
becomes too hard to move, then wait it out in the shade (or under your
umbrella) until 4-5.  Hike into the night.

The heat is really tough for some folks to deal with.  I can empathize - my
husband and I are from MN and have a lot of trouble with it.  The hike to
Cajon pass a few days ago was brutal in 110 degree heat. Most importantly,
listen to your body - if it tells you to stop, it's worth it to lose a few
hours instead of pushing yourself to heat exhaustion. Don't try to
move faster than it wants to go. You'll get acclimated to some degree. We
did better from Mojave Dam to I-15 than we did back in the Anza-Borrego,
but it was still hard.

Good luck!