[pct-l] Trail angel etiquette advice

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed May 15 08:37:56 CDT 2013

It is my opinion that serendipitous trail angel encounters are the
most satisfying kind. In other words, I hiked the trail without
calling people in advance and just emerged from trailheads hoping for
the best. I received a lot of kindness from strangers that was
incredibly uplifting. It sometimes seemed to me that the people
around me, calling for help from the trail, were having a different
experience, one that I did not want.

That said, calling when it's certain when you will be there or when
you are already there is best unless you are arranging a shuttle or
something from home, where you are certain of the date and time you
will meet them.