[pct-l] 3rd Gate Crossing Water Cache

Wayne Smith bumblefist at gmail.com
Tue May 14 10:59:52 CDT 2013

I agree with Gary about this being part of the challenge of hiking the
PCT.  I think trail angels are great and the people who supply these water
caches are wonderful people, but I must admit that I was a little
disappointed when I first heard about the creation of the 3rd Gate water
cache.  That 23 mile section of the PCT from Scissors Crossing to Barrel
Springs used to be the first big challenge of the PCT.  It was the first
section that really separated those who had what it takes to hike the PCT
from those who didn't.  Hikers feared that section.  Then, for those who
made it through, the feeling was so great to know that you conquered the
first big challenge.  You carried enough water to get yourself 23 miles and
you figured out the best way to do it!  After that hikers could feel a
greater sense of confidence that they could take on all the other
challenges to come on the PCT.
Now with the option of getting water at the 3rd Gate cache, that section
isn't as much a challenge any more.  Sure, you can choose not to use the
cache, but just knowing that it is there takes away the urgency of making
sure you plan that section right.
Just my opinion....

Gretzky

Carry your own water, then you don't have to worry. It's not that big a
deal. Plus you'll gain the satisfaction of having done the trail using your
own resources. It's part of the challenge and very gratifying.

Gary