[pct-l] How many pairs of shoes/ boots do you need

Wayne Smith bumblefist at gmail.com
Mon May 13 11:00:13 CDT 2013

As you may have already figured out from the different posts on this topic,
how long shoes/boots last depends on the type of shoes/boots that you
have.  Lightweight trail runners will last the shortest length of time,
heavy duty boots will last the longest.
I used a combination on both of my PCT hikes.  I started with some hiking
shoes for southern California.  They were more sturdy and ruggedly built
than what a lot of ultralight hikers wear.  Basically they were hiking
"shoes" not trail runners.  They had Vibram soles which is what I look for
usually because they are known to last a long time.  These shoes easily
lasted me until the Sierras and I sent them home and used them for some
time afterwards.
When I reached the Sierras I switched to a medium weight hiking boot, again
with a Vibram sole.  These lasted me all the way to Canada however after
that they were retired because most of the tread was gone by that point.
As for which is best it is completely up to you.  Over the years there have
been plenty of people who have hiked the PCT in all sorts of footwear.
Heavy leather boots used to be the norm so no one can say you can't do it
if that is what you like to wear.  I personally don't want to have to get
new footwear multiple times throughout a hike so I like to wear footwear
that lasts a long time.

Gretzky