[pct-l] C-A-M-P-F-I-R-E-S / And the Mountain Bike problem

jason povey golobos_55 at yahoo.com
Mon May 13 01:36:13 CDT 2013

This has obviously been a heated discussion since mnt bikes first started popping up in the 80's.  My family and close friends all ride, we have a web page to discuss trails and record rides, some of us have raced professionally, some have not. However, one thing all of us have in common is we each put in 100+ rides a year on some of the most heavily hiked and biked trails in the world, Northern Utah, Colorado and Moab.  Another thing every person I know who mountain bikes has in common is no one has ever been involved or even seen a collision between hikers and bikers, I have never heard of one and I worked in a mnt bike shop in Moab for years, if was going to happen that would be a place it happened often.  I am not saying this has never happened but I highly doubt its a significant number.  In re steep and narrow trails, bikers know better on trails with hikers, you have to understand the guy on the bike going 35 doesnt want to take a header,
 there are trails with runners and bikers, specifically backside of Amassa Back, with a wall on one side and a few hundred feet on the the other with three too four feet of trail, no one has ever gone off avoiding a bike or vice versa...my ex boss in Moab did fall off while running due to a loose rock, you may have seen it on "i shouldnt be alive", her dog found search and rescue after three days and took them to her.  Point being is that dont take us back to the 80's nonsense, we have been riding trails together for 30 years and its rarely a problem. If the PCT wants to remain bike free thats fine but dont use a baseless fear to keep it that way.

If you want to work on trails, if you want to see probably the largest population of people who work on trails, go into your local bike shop and tell them you want to be on their trail building or maintenance crew, they work in large numbers tirelessly on trails regardless of whether its a mnt bike exclusive trail.