[pct-l] How many pairs of shoes/ boots do you need

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Mon May 13 00:23:31 CDT 2013

My longest section hike was about 600 miles or so.  I started with new
trail runners and a superfeet insole, and in later years, an ed viesturs
(sp) insole.  What wore out wasn't the sole of the shoe. It was the
interior.  My toe wore a hole in the top of the shoe and the heel got
ragged.  The rubber toe piece of the sole started to disbond and curl
up.  The sole of the shoe hardly wore down at all. It was the upper that
started to disintegrate, from the inside out.

On subsequent section hikes I'd get new shoes and put a strip of duct
tape inside the heel that ran underneath the new insole.  I'd curl it
out and over and down a bit.  That kept one area from wearing out
prematurely, or what I considered to be premature.  It also made the
shoe really easy to slip on and off, and even when sweaty, salty wet,
not as much heat built up.  I never had problems with heel blisters, but
I noticed the difference.  I also tried it with shoes I'd worn and
gotten dirty, and the duct tape didn't stick nearly as well.

Jeffrey Olson
Rapid City, SD