[pct-l] Personal stories about life before the PCT

Nicole E. Phillips nephils at gmail.com
Wed May 8 22:07:37 CDT 2013

Hello everyone,

First of all, I want to thank the members of this list who continue to
provide a wealth of information and ideas. I am very new to this community,
but can already feel the comradery.

I am planning a 2014 PCT thru hike, but to do so will require leaving my
six figure career behind, getting my house rented, etc. My planning is in
process to do all of this and I am just looking to hear some personal
stories from any one who has left a secure, well paying job to thru hike,
and how you prepared, as well as how you think it has changed your
perspective.

I am in my 30s, single, no kids and doing well, but stuck in a numbing
career within a corporation whose values (I'm learning more everyday) are
not in line with my own. I have dreamed about a thru hike for several
years, but recently I feel that certain events have led me to officially
decide to leave my career and go for a walk. I have always found comfort in
solitude, and am easily energized by nature. my life and soul are being
wasted on a job that in my core, I feel is not the right fit, but I've
stuck with it, primarily because of the compensation. I know there is more
out there for me, but it is nearly impossible to open up to other
opportunity without creating some kind of intervention.

Honestly I just want to hear from others who have been in a similar
situation and the process leading to your decision, as well as the
re-entry. Please feel free to flame or to respond with questions.

Thanks,
Nicole