[pct-l] 3 lost San Diego hikers...found

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Tue May 7 17:12:41 CDT 2013

Hi Gang,
Three San Diego hikers, lost since Saturday, have been found today after
spending 2 nights, illprepared for the conditions they encountered, in the
wilderness.
The  hikers climbing San Gorgonio, Southern California's highest mountain,
last Saturday in shorts and without overnight camping gear, with rain
and snow
predicted, got lost and caused a massive 2 day SR effort involving
helicopters
and search parties totaling 60 members.
With rain and snow and sub freezing temperatures and no overnight gear they
are lucky to be alive.

I wonder if they would have been able to find their way out if they had
a map
and compass?

Did I hear somebody on this list say....
"ooohhh,...you are safer on the trail than in your own home."
                  I say...perhaps if everything goes exactly as you
anticipate.
"ooohhh,...you don' need a map or compass."
                   I say...not until you need them.... and that is when
you really need
                   them and they are worth their weight in gold...might
even save your
                   life.
                   If it is the weight that causes you to go without a
map and compass,
                   leave a couple granola bars behind, and take the map
& compass.
                   Lacking a couple granola bars may cause you to lose a
couple oz.
                   of body weight.
                   Lacking a map & compass may cause you to lose your life.

I know the argument will be...the PCT is a established trail and easy to
follow.
This is true most of the time, but not all of the time and hikers do get
lost.
Besides, the map and compass are not really needed so much to follow the
trail, although it is nice to know where you are at all times, then to
guide you
through the wilderness if you get lost or, if for some reason you must
get off the
trail, to show you the shortest route to civilization in case of emergency.

I have hiked the Sierra since 1968 or 1969 and have "thru-hiked" the JMT
many times and probably don't need a map or compass anymore on the JMT.
However, I will never, and I repeat  "NEVER",  venture into the wilderness
without my trusted map & compass.

Like I said,...if weight is the determining factor, leave a couple
granola bars
behind,...but take the map and compass.

JMT Reinhold
Your map and compass strapping trail companion