[pct-l] Mosquito Madness

Sean Nordeen sean.nordeen at gmail.com
Mon May 6 23:02:28 CDT 2013

I've been using permithrin for years for the Sierra Neveda.  Combined with
long pants and long sleeves, its the best solution I've come up with for
the dark clouds that follow you in spring.  When I hiked the PCT in 2009, I
had a spray bottle of it sent to Kennedy Meadows where I sprayed my clothes
including socks and hat with it.  I wear long pants, long sleeve shirt, and
hat that are treated.  The mosquitos may land on them, but they won't stay
very long before leaving and they won't try to bite through treated
clothing.  When I stopped for a break, if they were bad, I'd put on a
headnet over my hat while I rested; only needed to a few times as for the
most part they left my face, neck and hands alone.  I only used DEET twice
and that was in northern Yosemite which always has the worse mosquitos in
Spring.  They were swarming thick enough that they were starting to get on
to my hands as I hiked so the DEET came out.

-Miner