[pct-l] Sleeping bags...WORD of CAUTION

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Sat May 4 17:18:49 CDT 2013

[pct-l] Sleeping bags...WORD of CAUTION

Brick,
I don't know if you know this or not, but "GAS IS FLAMMABLE".
I would strongly advise that you not smoke while discharging
all that chilly gas into your sleeping bag.
If you would hook up some kind of manifold to a fuel bottle that
would allow you to discharge all that gas into the fuel bottle,
instead of into your sleeping bag, you could eat all the chilly
your little heart desires and would be a happier and lighter camper
because you would not have to carry any fuel.
Every evening you would simply re-pressurize the fuel bottle by
discharging all that chilly gas into the fuel bottle and be set
for the next day.

JMT Reinhold
The problem solver
>/  I asked, did he fall?....He replied.."He died in his sleeping bag
/>/  from suffocation."
/
I used a bivy bag for shelter on my thru hike (which I would not do
again) and while freezing in the sierra one night (my water bottles
and shoes were frozen solid in the morning) I zipped myself in my
bags, leaving only a small hole through which to breathe, to try and
not freeze during the night.

The only problem was that I had eaten some home made and dehydrated
chili, and I just about gassed myself to death.

After that, I had my support person take the Chili out of my boxes so
I had a bunch left over when I got home...... When PCT-Planner-Craig
stayed with me before his section hike, he supplied from my box of
left over food, and took some of the chili.....

It was potent enough he commented the next time I saw him....