[pct-l] Halfmiles Maps

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sat May 4 10:34:01 CDT 2013

Good morning, Mark,

I’ll make a few comments about printed HalfMile maps without answering your
question about who prints them.

Weatherproof paper is expensive, heavier, and stiffer than regular, good
quality bond paper.  The question is:  Is it worth the difference?  For me,
no, because:

I keep a day’s worth of maps – usually 2 or 3 pages -- in a handy 8.5” x
11” Ziploc.

The remainder of that section’s maps is carried in another Ziploc inside
the pack.

On most of the trip there will be very little need to actually examine any
map page.

If there is rain or a ford it’s likely that the Ziploc will keep the maps
dry.

If some water does get in, it’s unlikely the whole map will get soaked.

It’s probable that even if a standard-paper map gets damp it won’t
disintegrate nor will the ink run badly – it’ll be readable for the few
miles necessary to get to another, dryer map.

If there is an unreadable portion, it is unlikely to be in the exact
location I need at that minute.

The probability of all those bad things happening at once, i.e. critical
need, water, and unreadability, is very slight and for me it’s not worth
the cost of weatherproof paper

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/