[pct-l] GPS coordinates: Google Earth vs Google Maps

Ron Graybill rgraybill44 at gmail.com
Thu May 2 20:58:13 CDT 2013

Anyone have a good source to explain--to a novice--the different ways of
stating GPS coordinates?

On my next little section hike I want to hike north from Mt. Laguna to Mile
55 can camp near there, then go on the next day.  So on Google Earth, the
coordinates read: 32◦ 56’ 49.26” N 116◦29’38.61” W.  But if one goes to
Google Maps, Clicks on "Map Labs" and enables "LatLng Tooltip" that same
spot reads something like 32.9470  -116.4040.

Just surfing blindly, I found a GPS Latitude and Longitude Converter,
http://www.csgnetwork.com/gpscoordconv.html
and through dumb luck and trial and error I discovered if I inserted the
Google Earth coordinates in the top set of boxes, I ended up with the
Google Maps style down below when I clicked on "Convert."

So I guess I know how to covert the different GPS formats in that
direction, but there may be a better way or perhaps some place where I can
actually get a better understanding of what's going on.

Manzanita