[pct-l] Stove advice

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Wed May 1 20:22:27 CDT 2013

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 4:54 PM, Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes
<diane at santabarbarahikes.com> wrote:
> Alcohol works really slowly and it will work even more slowly if you
> have to cook for two.

I disagree. My alky stove boils water without be becoming impatient.
And the speed of setup and takedown is faster than many other types of
stoves

> The only advantage you have with an alcohol
> stove is alcohol is easily obtained.

I disagree that that is the only advantage, for shorter legs between
resupply, alky stoves are quite a bit lighter than other types of
stoves, AND they are simpler besides getting crushed, don't have an
inherent failure mode. This advantage may be negated by the need to
cook for two.