[pct-l] Early PCT casualtis

Paul Mitchell paul at bluebrain.ca
Wed May 1 17:26:21 CDT 2013

> But what if your mistakes force you off the trail?

Then you hiked a shorter hike than planned, which frequently happens
regardless of mistakes.

> But we are talking about people who are only hiking 1/2 of 1% of their
hike. Maybe if some of them were better prepared, they could hike their own
hike.

They did hike their own hike.  :)

A PCT hike is (for most) a great experience regardless of whether it's
"successful" in terms of completion.  Most people don't make it all the way
the first time.  Some return and do the next time around.  Even if they were
"well prepared" thanks to lots of smaller hikes, the PCT is still different
than any other trail, and a thru-hike is different than any other type of
hike, so there's really a limit to how prepared someone can be.

We learn better by making mistakes than any other way, so really, the best
training for a successful PCT thru-hike is a "failed" PCT thru-hike.  :)

Potential 178