[pct-l] Mosquitos

JPL jplynch at crosslink.net
Sat Mar 30 21:37:15 CDT 2013

Coal plants produce a *lot* of heavy metal.  Mercury in particular:
"Coal plants are responsible for more than half of the U.S. human-caused
emissions of mercury, a toxic heavy metal that causes brain damage and heart
problems. Just 1/70th of a teaspoon of mercury deposited on a 25-acre lake
can make the fish unsafe to eat. A typical uncontrolled coal plants emits
approximately 170 pounds of mercury each year. Activated carbon injection
technology can reduce mercury emissions by up to 90 percent when combined
with baghouses. ACI technology is currently found on just 8 percent of the
U.S. coal fleet."

http://www.ucsusa.org/clean_energy/coalvswind/c02c.html