[pct-l] Mac and cheese

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Sat Mar 30 00:42:49 CDT 2013

Hey Dan,

I would bring a pot of water to the boil and add the mac n cheese, take it
off the heat, put it all in my pot cozy and let it steep while I pitched
camp.  I got so that I could estimate how much water to put in the pot so
that it was just the right amount to be absorbed in the cooking and I
didn't have to drain any of it.  When camp was pitched I'd add some
powdered Nido and the cheese pack and olive oil and lay down in bed and
eat.  The pot cozy saved me a lot of fuel and the steeping produced great
results with the pasta.

Water is precious out there whether you're in the desert or the forest.
 Either you're hunting for it or carrying it, or you've filtered it or
boiled it.  I wanted all of my cooking water inside me by the end of dinner
thus, no draining of the pasta.  I also drank any water used to clean the
pot.  It's a delicious, cheesy, milky after dinner tea.  By the second half
of the trail, when the hiker hunger really hit, I was eating most of two
boxes per dinner.  The cold, gelatinous, cheesy clump that was left was
first course for breakfast.  Man did I like my junk food on the PCT!

Have fun out there!

Shroomer