[pct-l] How do water caches work?

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Mar 29 12:12:03 CDT 2013

I don't think anybody is trying to sound arrogant about hiking the
first 20 miles without a water cache. The PCT contains many sections
of 20 miles or more without water sources. It is a reality of the
PCT. People should be prepared for this reality since water caches
cannot be considered truly reliable and neither can ever potential
natural water source. Recently I did a 3-day weekend backpack trip/
trail working trip where all the water needed had to be carried in on
Saturday. I discarded 2.5 liters of excess on the following Monday.
Having to carry a lot of water is not a huge hardship, just an
annoyance.