[pct-l] How do water caches work?

sbryce at scottbryce.com sbryce at scottbryce.com
Fri Mar 29 01:56:18 CDT 2013

> I think I may have recruited a potential "trail angel" who can stock a
> water cache at Hauser Creek, Mile 15.3 of the PCT. (A spot that often
> lacks water, especially this year with so little rain.)

I really don't think a cache at Hauser creek is a good idea.

1) Anyone who can't make if from Campo to Lake Marena without a cache has
no business hiking the PCT.

2) A cache at Hauser creek is almost as likely to be used by illegals as
hikers.

3) Caching water is like feeding bears. Too many hikers will learn to rely
on it. If it isn't kept sufficiently stocked, you will have hikers
arriving at the cache expecting to find water, but not finding any. These
hikers should be carrying enough to get them through to Lake Morena.

4) Hauser creek is usually dry during the through hiker season. Hikers
should have already planned on not finding water there, unless the water
report indicates that Hauser creek is still flowing.

Unless your friend knows for a fact that he can keep sufficient water
there during the through hiker season (mid April to mid May), the cache
will create a situation where hikers expecting to find water there will
come up short. Otherwise, the cache would not be needed.

Water in chaches is typically left in gallon jugs tied together so that
they will not blow away when they are empty. Your friend should also be
prepared to remove any additional trash left by hikers.