[pct-l] Kennedy Meadows area trail report

Ken Murray kmurray at dr.com
Thu Mar 28 22:11:39 CDT 2013

Just got back from leading a group of almost 40 out of Kennedy Meadows to clean up some trail. This was 95% brushing and tree cutting. I estimate that we cut a couple miles of brush, virtually all out to 6-8 feet wide. We cut out about 50 logs, using saws and axe---the high school kids loved working with the axe, amazingly enough. We also cut off several hundred limbs that were encroaching on the trail corridor.

In summary, there is only one tree across the trail, too large for our gear, about 7 mi north of the campground. It is easily walked/ridden around. We'll get it later on. The entire trail segment to the Haiwee Pass lateral is open of brush. The entire trail segment until about 1 mile south of the lateral has excellent tread. That segment is easily passed by foot or stock, but it is in bad need of significant tread rehabilitation, with a lot of steps and rockwork needing to be done to preserve it from the erosion that it is experiencing. It has apparently not been worked in decades, and shows it, but it is not an issue for current users.

Water is an issue on this segment. Crag Creek is flowing well, but down probably 50% from normal. I saw NO snow on surrounding hills or on the trail, where this time of year usually requires wading through some. I wasn't there, but my crew reported that there was some in the forest near the lateral. So, there is water flowing well at the bottom of Clover Meadow, and at the head of the meadow, where it becomes very narrow. I don't know for sure, but there may be no more from here to the Swallow Bridge, 3-4 miles.

The only other trail issues are some need of water diversion structure work in the first three miles, as well as about 60 trees adjacent to the trail that need to be removed to allow unimpeded stock passage. Nothing that should affect hikers at all, and at this point only annoyances for loaded stock.

An interesting suprise: My crew found TWO bear cannisters cached in the Clover Meadows area. One, a Bear Vault, I looked through but could find no identification. The stuff looked relatively recent. The other was a Garcia, in the middle of a stone pile to protect it. I did not personally see it or inspect it. I mentioned it to Tom at KM, and he seemed to be aware of the circumstances of them being left there. We left them alone, but Tom may retrieve them for use in the loaner program. They apparently are not otherwise going to be used or retrieved. Quite a surprise.

Another reminder: When you are hiking the trail, if you come across any significant problems, like a big tree that is problematic to get around, or a wash-out, or severe brush, at your convenience, let someone like the PCTA or the local land agency know. Some segments of the trail do not get assessed by anyone for several years at a time, so if there is a problem, hikers will be how we find out.

Ran into Bloodbank, who had just hiked from Hikertown to KM, and just missed Warner Springs Monty, doing the same.