[pct-l] TP in the Cat Hole

Jim Marco jdm27 at cornell.edu
Thu Mar 28 04:39:26 CDT 2013

Perhaps the definitive book on the subject is "How to Shit in the Woods". Fairly humorous and informative. The is a time and place for all methods is the main message. Dry areas are not conducive to biodegrading. Areas of rocks with little soil present a different problem. We use the waste products and dead bodies of plants, trees and animals all the time, so, don't be too insulted if the animals use ours, too. If it degrades, then it probably will not hurt the environment, but that depends on how well it is distributed. Concentration, more than anything, is bad. Spread out, it is good. On longer hikes, generally, you will likely encounter areas that differ from your normal habits. A little thought and knowledge will stand you in good stead.

I complain more about the white daisies I find during spring hikes, than many other practices. But, I know this is more for visual appeal than because of a real environmental problem. Baggies are bad for the environment. They last for a LONG time. But, better to have a baggie on a longer canoe trip than not. Shore mud makes a poor degrading media, what happens in periods of high water? Sometimes, a little thought will explain a proper course of action.
	My thoughts only . . .
		jdm