[pct-l] Wheat-free, dairy-free dinners

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Mar 26 19:17:47 CDT 2013

Journey bars are savory and gluten-free. Mainly oats and millet.

Quinoa is getting more popular these days and may be possible to find
now and then.

Just Peas, Just Corn etc. freeze-dried veggies could probably be used
instead of grains in some recipes if you use enough of them. I used
them to extend the bulk of a lot of dinners.

Currently I use dehydrated sweet potatoes as a sort of carby base to
all my backpack meals.

Mailing a box of hard-to-find stuff that follows you up the trail
isn't a horrible idea and might be something to consider so that you
have adequate food to eat and aren't stuck eating slim jims and candy
bars.

Also, Asian stores have mushrooms really super cheap. I can buy
enough dried shitaki mushrooms to last a year for about $3.