[pct-l] Fuel canisters

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 25 23:03:39 CDT 2013

Hi Jim,

I'm still using the same Jetboil stove that I cooked with during my four-season solo ride of the PCT.  Today, I purchased more 13 ounce (weight of canister including fuel) canisters at REI. I plan to use them during my ride of the Colorado Trail this summer. I use the Snow Peak brand rather than the Jetboil brand. They are exactly the same size and weight, and are less expensive at only $4.95 each. I have spent over six months, mostly living on the PCT - with a horse you can't hitch into towns as the hikers can.

As for fuel consumption, I can cook two meals a day for five or six days on one canister. I always also bring along one of the smaller (7.75 Oz.) canisters just in case I run out of fuel. I still have the original small canister that I bought when I bought the stove. That was in 2007. That smaller canister is still about half-full. I like that I can simmer with the shut-off valve. You get better time (fuel efficiency) if you don't cook at full throttle. I use a windscreen that I made out of the thick aluminum foil that is used by food caterers. How much fuel you actually use will depend on what you cook - what is the cooking time?  My breakfast and dinner meals always include a two cup cup of hot chocolate. I like the Swiss Miss "Hot Chocolate Sensation" with Nido powdered whole milk added. (Good calories - 2x 150 + the Nido = about 400). I make that in my old Cascade cup that I have used for decades. I also bring a titanium frying pan so I can
 sometimes fry trout. The weight of the trout that I catch and eat easily justifys carrying the minimal weight of frying pan. I have always used peanut oil for frying because it does not break down due to heat like some other oils - it can be strained and recycled. Restaurants on the Mendocino Coast, where I lived for 34 years, use peanut oil for frying seafood for that reason.

Have a great hike

MendoRider-Hiker