[pct-l] Side trips

Craig Giffen cg at lunky.com
Mon Mar 25 15:22:54 CDT 2013

I've never been up Mt. Thielsen but had always wanted to go.

I'm a little unnerved by it now just because in September of 1996 when I was hiking California and Oregon, I stopped and had lunch at the Mt. Thielsen trail turnoff.  I debated about taking the side trip and ended up continuing north on the PCT instead.  When I was eating dinner at Shelter Cove Resort a few days later I read the newspaper and saw that a girl had died from a fall on Mt. Thielsen, right about the time I had been sitting at the Thielsen trail junction.

In trying to get more info on it for this email I came across this link, I had forgotten about the helicopter that is in Crater Lake which happened a year prior.
http://www.craterlakeinstitute.com/cultural-history/smith-brothers-chronology/b-deaths.htm

CG