[pct-l] Burns Bans

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 25 11:10:54 CDT 2013

" I'm not trying to beg the question, but if you state that stoves with shut
off valves are legal throughout the entire PCTthen why is it ok to use an
alcohol stove? Those do not have a shut-off valve, but that stove has
become synonymous. "

I believe that only comes into play during open fire bans in certain jurisdictions. Wood stoves, Esbit, charcoal and alcohol stoves were banned
in the backcountry.    If there is no fire ban, then the alchy stoves were legal.

(That was the case in Colorado last summer for example)

However, wood stoves may have special rules for their particular use as they are considered a campfire for all intents and purposes by districts.

More info about fire bans from research I have done:
http://www.pmags.com/stove-comparison-real-world-use#burn-bans

To answer an earlier question this year  about the UL/ANSI certifications concerning stoves, the UL/ANSI numbers are on a tag when you buy a stove.
At least that was the case on a Optimus and an MSR Pocket Rocket IIRC.

I double checked at a local outfitter not long after I wrote the above "burn bans" addendum.

Paul "Mags" Magnanti
http://www.pmags.com
http://www.twitter.com/pmagsco
http://www.facebook.com/pmags