[pct-l] White Gas, Meals, KO, Postage, Canada

Jim Marco jdm27 at cornell.edu
Fri Mar 22 21:31:13 CDT 2013

Lindsay,
	I generally just get two weeks out of a 12oz coke bottle of WG.
There can be several caveats to that, depending on the efficiency of your stove.
For solo camping:
	SVEA 123r, windscreen with about a 1/2" clearance all around the pot.
	Always cook on the lowest possible setting.
	This is two burns per day:
		Breakfast: Cook one cup in my cup as I get water in the pot. This is usually treated water so it is just hot, around 160F or so for coffee/cocoa/oatmeal. 3 cups in the pot takes about 6-7 minutes...about the time I finish packing my bag/pad and first cup of coffee. I turn it off whether it boils or not. ~1/3oz of fuel.
		Lunch is just a couple bars of something. Odds and ends of whatever I find interesting over 4-5 15 minute breaks over the course of the day. Usually about 300-400C every few hours.
		Supper is some sort of rice, pasta, veggie soup, stew or noodles. Usually with some sort of meat (proteins) mixed in: pepperoni, salami, dried beef, jerkey, cheese, or other preserved meat. This is dumped in cold and allowed to heat to a boil. Boil for about two minutes, and take it off the stove to heat up a cup of cocoa...again, often treated water. This sits while I set up camp, get firewood (if allowed,) fill in my journal, wash up a bit, change into sleeping cloths, finish my cocoa, etc. for the night. After stuff has cooled down a bit (it should be cooked,) I have supper. This takes about 1/2oz maybe a bit more.
	So, 12floz works for 14 days, just. The fuel bottle, fuel, spare cap w/fill tube weigh just about 10.2oz. About 40oz per day is heated (12oz cup.)
	My thoughts only . . .
		jdm