[pct-l] rattlesnakes vaccines for dogs

Kristin Hamann aggie03.kh at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 20:54:38 CDT 2013

The PCT goes through Leptospirosis endemic areas.  Leptospirosis may not be
included in your vet's regular vaccine protocol depending on where you
live.  Your dog is exposed mostly through outdoor water sources, but also
urine of infected animals such as raccoons or rodents.  It requires 2 shots
3-4 weeks apart to get protection, and then annual boosters.  That means
you should be making an appointment NOW to get your dog protected if he/she
is not already vaccinated.  Please call prior to scheduling your
appointment as they may need to special order it.  Leptospirosis causes
kidney and liver failure, can be fatal, and is contagious to people.  The
vaccine is not 100% effective (no vaccine is); see link.

The rattlesnake vaccine is newer and while I have never personally used it,
I understand many vets in the Southwest with high risk of rattlesnake
exposure are recommending it.  Please discuss this with your veterinarian;
call prior to scheduling your appointment as they will likely need to
special order it.  I believe it also requires 2 doses 3-4 weeks apart, but
I am not familiar with all the products out there (see link for Red Rock
Biologics below).  To the best of my knowledge does not protect against the
Mojave rattlesnake which is especially bad.  Does not protect against Coral
snakes either (also very bad), but Coral snakes are not very prevalent on
the PCT and tend to be reclusive and non-aggressive; bites are uncommon.
 Regardless of vaccine status if you suspect your dog may have been bitten
by a potentially venomous snake get him/her to an ER vet ASAP!!!!  If your
dog is on a leash he/she is less likely to be bitten.

Any vaccine has a risk of reaction, just as in people (see link on vaccine
reactions).  In spite of what you find on the internet, studies have found
dogs are no more likely to react to Leptospirosis vaccine than any other
vaccine; it got a bad rap from older more reactive vaccines.  The
rattlesnake vaccine is newer and I am not familiar with reaction rates.  If
your dog has had vaccine reactions in the past or immune-mediated disorder,
your vet may recommend pre-treating with benadryl and/or skipping vaccines
that are not completely necessary.  Common signs of vaccine reaction (most
often within 3 hours of vaccination) are vomiting/diarrhea (the shock organ
in dogs is the GI tract), facial swelling, hives, itchy skin, and in very
rare cases respiratory distress and even death (as in people); if you see
these signs, even just vomiting, get into an ER clinic.

This is another good reason to see your vet prior to to hitting the trail
if you are planning on bringing Fido.  At this visit explain what you are
doing and that you may not always be able to get to a vet immediately, so
what can they prescribe if your dog is sick or experiencing
vomiting/diarrhea until you can get him/her in to a vet.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1745

http://www.redrockbiologics.com/

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1717

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=527