[pct-l] Oprah and low snow provide a record year?

Craig Giffen cg at lunky.com
Thu Mar 21 17:49:24 CDT 2013

Er, maybe you should read the book first before callously dismissing a fellow PCT hiker "some lost prostitute".

I am all for more PCT hikers, as time goes on there are going to be more and more threats to the PCT of real consequence:  be it our fellow humans who ride on two wheels at high speeds, wield a chainsaw, or drive a bulldozer.  Whining about the spirit of the trail being lost due to pot smokers, cell phones, internet resources, or self promoting hikers is a personal issue and missing the bigger picture.

Sure, I would like it if the PCT was still relatively unknown with only a handful of people hiking it...but I know that also isn't practical in the long term as long as our population keeps increasing.

-Craig

p.s. Besides, everyone knows the REAL spirit of the PCT was lost when hikers stopped using hobnail boots, cast-iron frying pans, and 8 pound sleeping bags:
http://pcttrailway.pctplanner.com/pg054.html