[pct-l] Oprah and low snow provide a record year?

dicentra dicentragirl at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 21 09:36:58 CDT 2013

In recent years KO registration has always gone FAST.  More people are returning each year.

As for the Oprah book, I've read it. Her hike was pre-KO days, so there is no mention of KO. She doesn't start at the border, nor does she hike the whole trail.  Her hike was done before social media and a lot of the information that is now available to all of us. It is more of a what NOT to do when hiking than a "hey look how cool this is..." type of thing.

I would blame social media (Hey look! We're reading the PCT-L!) before I would blame an Oprah book. How many PCT Face Book pages are there? Plus Post Holer, Trail Journals, and all of the other online sites that make it easier to plan a trip. Water report, maps that you can download to your phone?  If you peruse the current year journals, you won't see much mention of the book influencing hikes.

OTOH, I'm hoping the book will generate some interest in maintaining and preserving the trail.

Wow, I guess I have an opinion on that. lol.

~Dicentra

http://www.onepanwonders.com ~ Backcountry Cooking at its Finest
http://www.freewebs.com/dicentra