[pct-l] ursacks and critters

Elizabeth Clements elizabethjoyclements at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 22:06:09 CDT 2013

Sir Mix Alot,

A cougar? really?!  How far away were you?  I've read about hikers who
carry and sleep with their food.  This is what I was planning on
doing.  Bad idea?  Also, have there been any cougar encounters/attacks
on the trail in recent years and what precautions have people made to
protect themselves?

Thanks!

Yep, I should have been using an odor proof bag, and have changed my ways,
but I appreciated learning what it could stand up to.

While preventing a loss of food is usually the primary reason for using an
odor proof bag, to me a bigger benefit is not giving scavengers a reason to
come around me or my food.  The result is a better sleep.