[pct-l] Kickoff experiences

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 19 13:14:39 CDT 2013

Wayne wrote:

Hikers have the chance to meet and hear about many of the different trail
angels they can expect to meet along the way, so it is no longer a surprise
to meet a trail angel, but more of an expectation. I think the biggest
downside to the Kickoff is that for some hikers, in particular the younger
ones, it really inflates their sense of entitlement to being treated
special.

I believe that overall, ADZPCTKO is a big net benefit to the trail community
but yes, entitlement is always a chronic problem with thru-hikers.  It would
be a problem with or without the kickoff but I can see how the kickoff could
tend to exacerbate the problem.

It's really easy to start believing that because you're engaged in this
amazing, epic journey that you're sacrificing so much for, that everyone you
meet ought to be equally amazed and equally willing to sacrifice.  When
they're not, then it's easy to feel disappointed and even angry because
they're not meeting your expectations.  This is a very poisonous attitude
that can turn an entire town community against the hiking community if it's
allowed to run unchecked.  It's possible for even people who are reasonably
mature and responsible in their non-trail life to fall into this trap
because, well, you're HIKING FROM MEXICO TO CANADA!!!, and of course some
hikers are not too mature or responsible to begin with which just makes it
worse.  I don't know of any good solution to this other than for people to
examine their own attitudes and to set a good example for those around them.
Good behavior can rub off on other people just like bad behavior does.

Be delighted.  Have no expectations.  When something unexpected and generous
happens to you on the trail, revel in the amazingness and goodness of that.
And when it doesn't happen, well, remember you're there to hike your own
hike and no one else signed up to hike it for you.  :-)

Eric