[pct-l] compasses for backcountry use

John Abela john at hikelighter.com
Mon Mar 18 15:59:10 CDT 2013

Kinda have to agree with the others on this one - unless you have
honed your orientation skills (and have no intentions of doing so), go
with the Suunto A-10. It is a sub one ounce (27g) baseplate compass
that will give you the basic compass and is under 15 bucks.

Personally, I never leave home without a Suunto MC-2G Global compass -
a 2.65 ounce and $80+ compass that does pretty much anything, but
these days that is far beyond what the average pct hiker has a need
for, especially if you plan on group hiking.

The nice aspects of a more powerful compass:

Adjustable declination
Clinometer (helpful for places like the sierras when solo hiking)
A mirror (helpful for shaving, putting needles through blisters on
your feet, and of course using your compass)

But in the end, yeah, find yourself a Suunto A-10 on REI for under 15
bucks and call it good.