[pct-l] is this too much

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Fri Mar 15 16:39:32 CDT 2013

Obviously, your food supply is your biggest weight in your pack. Pairing it
down is a reasonable thought, but be careful to have enough out there!

When it comes to carrying "enough" for you to accomplish what you have to do
to hike all day, you need to know your own needs and demands! People have
different metabolic rates and fuel consumption demands. You can generalize
to a point in order to figure this out, but you really need to go out on the
trail and find out what "works" for you!

Case in point is myself:  If I am busy at my desk all day, I don't need a
whole lot to eat. If I maintain an exercise program for an hour a day, sure,
I eat a bit more. If I'm out ski patrolling, as I am this winter, I eat like
a horse! I would say that my caloric consumption more than triples what I
take in for desk work.

Out on the snow-trail, the first few days I don't eat appreciably any
different than at home, then it kicks in! After about three or five days, we
notice in ourselves and our students that our hunger increases a great deal
and we need to eat a lot more each day. In order to think clearly and be
able to motor about with strength and confidence all day, I need to eat for
three people when on the long trail (trips of more than 2 weeks in length).
But that is just me. You need to test your self and find out how much you
need.

Don't skimp on fuel! I know it is "heavy," but the consequences of running
out when in the backcountry are even "heavier!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
www.mountaineducation.org