[pct-l] Poison Oak/Ivy & Poodle-Dog Bush on the PCT

Meridith Rosendahl meridith.rosendahl at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 11:44:11 CDT 2013

> N. California seems to have quite a bit of poison oak mixed in with other
>> brush hanging over the trail.  There?s lots of it in the last miles of
>> trail approaching Seiad Valley, and then again along the first 2-3 miles
>> in
>> the climb northbound from Seiad.  Walking down the section toward Seiad I
>> encountered a young couple day-hiking with two big, shaggy dogs.  I fended
>> off the dogs and mentioned to the couple to look out for poison oak
>> because
>> I could see that they were walking right through it with their bare legs,
>> as were the dogs.  The guy told me they weren?t worried because there
>> wasn?t any poison oak around.

Also beware of the Feather River Canyon  descending to and ascending from
Belden.  A couple of years ago a hiker's pack fell off the trail into a
ravine and the hiker, wearing shorts, went after it.  By the time he
reached highway 36 he was unable to hike, had PO all over his legs.  He saw
a doctor at the clinic in Chester, picked up a prescription and I took him
home with me.  Arrangements were made to transport him to Old Station where
he could meet his friends who had hiked on.  I suppose the same would be
true at any lower elevation where there are deciduous trees and shrubs.

Piper's Mom